Saturday, April 2, 2016

Owning It

I've heard Our Savior is slipping a bit. Lyin' Don has stepped in it a few too many times of late. Not that he hadn't stepped in it before, but heretofore some people thought he was, beneath the piggishness and bombast, intelligent. That mirror has begun to crack. They say politics is like the entertainment field; all personality. The difference is that politicians are expected to answer questions somewhat more difficult than "who are you wearing?". Who knows what those nasty, pen-wielding reporters are going to ask? (And they "could have a bomb inside that pen", you know.) Today they may ask about foreign affairs, tomorrow abortion. Who has time for all that deep thought? Drudge's latest poll has just been published! If one stops to consider DT's pronouncements, they boil down to, "Build The Wall! Deals! Make America Great Again! I'm Rich! It'll Be Huge!" People who support him, I guess, read more into these slogans than are actually there. We've seen it before: Obama Derangement Syndrome. Folks made Obama into whatever they wanted him to be. That's okay, but blind trust leads to results like...well, Obama. 

What baffles me is, people I used to regard as "smart" have hitched their wagons to The Don. Oh, there are some dumb ones, too, but I give the dumb ones more of a pass. They're gullible, they like fame, they enjoy coattail riding; pick whichever trait applies. This morning as I switched on Fox News for a brief moment, I caught Eric Bolling pointing his finger at the camera and proclaiming, "RNC, I'm watching you!" It gave me shivers...of derision. Eric, it seems, is convinced there is some conspiracy among the RNC poo-bahs to "change the rules" and deny his idol the nomination that is so rightfully his. This conspiracy nut is almost as deluded as someone waltzing around asserting that Barack Obama was born in Kenya. I would like Fox to develop a talk show featuring Eric, Laura Ingraham, Ann Coulter, Newt Gingrich, and Sean Hannity. Call it "The Five Idiots".  They could sit around a table and discuss how "neat" Donald Trump is. I'll be sure not to DVR it.

And now, as the winds of lucidity start to billow and wreath the primary voters, DT's invincibility is becoming...vincible. Was it his comment about the hundred-pound reporter with a pen bomb? Was it his, "yes...no...well, they edited the tape" abortion response? Maybe his "my wife is hotter than your wife" tweet? Perhaps his overall cluelessness?
 
 I once purchased a book by Laura Ingraham. A couple of years ago, I laid down money for one of  Ann Coulter's screeds. I once said, out loud, "Gingrich is really smart". No more. 
 
I watch The Five because I think Greg Gutfeld is intelligent and funny -- a ripe combination. Dana Perino knows her stuff; she studies. Shoot, even Juan Williams has grown on me. Kimberly Guilfoyle has one spiked heel dug into the world of politics, the other planted in the bee's nest of celebrity. I once found Eric Bolling to be a genial buffoon. Now he's just a buffoon.  Hannity? He's always been a cliche slinger, so no thanks.

Whether I buy another book by any of the aforementioned people or watch their broadcasts is a tiny teardrop in a bucket to them, but buckets eventually fill.

These folks bought it.

Now they have to own it.


No comments:

Post a Comment