Friday, June 24, 2016

The Wayward Messenger


I don't normally pay much attention to overseas news. Call me a nationalist -- fine. Sure, I worry about ISIS on the move, wary that they're going to do harm to us; knowing they already have. I didn't give more than a passing thought to Brexit. I frankly didn't understand the whole commotion until it was explained to me. (That's one of the grievances I have with so-called "news" -- they have a lot of talking heads, but they blather on and on without giving us THE FACTS. One more reason I've mainly switched over to CNN.)

I get it now. And I see the wave a'comin'. People in Britain are sick to death of the "poor them, lucky you" mantra. For far too long, we've allowed The Left to dominate the conversation. Well, here's the deal --- and I'm talking to elected Republicans as well as to the cynical, vote-mongering mercenaries on the other side -- There is no LUCKY ME. I'm not lucky. I'm not "privileged". Stop telling me that I am.  I live this life; I think I would know. The gated community dwellers no longer relate to people like me, if they ever did.

Here's a thought -- pay my utility bills! Juggle my checkbook and advise me on which bills I should pay on time and which ones I can let slide. The clinic put me on a payment plan because, gasp! we ran up too many medical bills! Thanks, Obamacare! You rock!

Tell me again how everyone but me is "downtrodden". Tell me after I write out my $2,000.00 check to pay my state taxes, separate from all the money that was deducted from my bi-weekly paycheck, which apparently fell far short of your goal to pay for your social programs. But, you know, I'm privileged -- and I should feel privileged to support other people while my existence is swirling furiously down the drain.

Tell me how we're going to survive in our "golden years", since I've now drained my 401K dry and my husband has been out of work for six years.

Yea, we're tired of all that privilege. And Brexit showed that a bunch of other people are sick of it, too. This could be our opportunity to flex what weak little influence we have left.

But no.

We've got Trumples The Clown representing us. I'm still not sure what his goal is, and I'm suspicious that even he doesn't know. He could have played up the whole Brexit thing today for maximum impact, but as I understand it, he chose instead to wax poetic about his Scottish golf course (I don't listen to the guy, but that's what I've heard.) Maybe his candidacy is one gigantic business promotion?

I still have nagging doubts about whether I will vote for the guy come November. If he'd just straighten up, I could envision myself checking the box for him, just to deprive That Woman from one more vote. But he's gotta show me he's a winner. And that he means it. If this is all a big joke, I'll write in George Strait or somebody, 'cause you know, I'm all for having fun, too.

The Republicans (with a big giant "R") don't give a good God-damn about people like me. They care about maintaining their lifestyles. The "D's" (as in douch....never mind) care about VOTES...voting blocks...gotta get those voting blocks! It's a game.

Meanwhile we privileged folk just need to deal.

Our country has already descended into hell.












No comments:

Post a Comment