Friday, August 12, 2016

The World In Ruin: CBS Announces Six New Shows Led By White Male Actors!

The CBS network apologized today for slating six new series for its fall lineup that features lead characters comprised of white men!

How the hell dare they?!?

Here's a tip, CBS:  Grow a pair and stop apologizing for committing an act of commerce.

As I commented on the Washington Post story, networks care about ratings. I know, I know, corporations aren't supposed to be "people, too", as Mitt Romney once infamously uttered. But, like most of us, except for those thirty-year-old "kids" whose sole support is derived from Mommy and Daddy's monthly personal check, networks like to make money! Crazy, I know.

Let's take a look, shall we? I see we have Michael Weatherly -- DiNozzo from NCIS. Last time I paid attention to such things, I learned that NCIS is the number one network television show. Thus, it's pure insanity to give Weatherly his own show after he bowed out from resting beneath Mark Harmon's shadow.

And Matt LeBlanc? Damn, was he ever in a show that could be considered a hit? I think there may have been some nineties sitcom whose name escapes me.

Kevin James -- some people think he's "funny". I think he also had a hit show on CBS at one time.

Joel McHale was once part of NBC's community. He also did Talk Soup on E. You might recognize his face.

Some dude is reprising MacGiver. People younger than me, when they're trying to fix something that's gone awry like to reference scenes from that show, so apparently MacGiver is part of the zeitgeist, as the hip dudes like to say.

I don't know who the other guy is. Don't care.

"We can do better", a little pansy-mouthed CBS exec proclaimed.

Really?

If you really can do better, why aren't you?

Is it because, while the LGBLT community is tops on the social justice radar, they don't exactly draw in viewers? Is it because feminist warriors don't endear themselves to TV watchers who just want to kick back after a hard day at work and not be hassled by an endless parade of whiny identity politics?

Here's a shocker:  CBS had a hit show forty years ago called "Cagney and Lacey", featuring two female protagonists. I liked the show; enjoyed it. One of the women -- I'll guess "Lacey" -- was married and I think even had a kid. The other lead, Cagney, was single, but not, as far as I know, part of the LGBLT community, because she did date guys. But the two of them were very capable police officers, solving crimes and all the things that police officers do, even though they were clearly females. The show was popular because the lead characters were human beings, not a check-the-box demographic. See, that's what "real" people are; do. Hillary, you're about a half a century behind the times.

I personally would like to watch a white male lead in a TV series -- if I watched network TV --- which I don't, because the writing is sub-par and I can't abide commercials.

Stop apologizing for giving us what we want. We know you like money, just like we all do.

How about you tell the social justice warriors to just go to hell?





No comments:

Post a Comment