Sunday, November 29, 2015

Introduction

I like to write.

I have a few disparate interests, and I don't think it's fair to subject my subscribers to subjects or views that either don't interest them or collide with their beliefs. For example, I have a blog about writing my novel, which, trust me, even literary agents don't care about (based upon the multitudes of rejections I've received). Nevertheless, I keep plugging away -- like a fool. That blog is currently marked "private", because I like to vent, but I don't like to embarrass myself.

My main blog is Rich Farmers, which features a topic I actually know something about -- music. Rich Farmers began as an attempt to publicize our band, but I soon found that, like literary agents, nobody cares. It eventually morphed into my views about music, which can be harsh or sentimental -- pick the day. It also heavily features YouTube videos, which makes it tricky to load. I thought about that and about the burden I was hefting onto people who might like to read what I have to say, but alas, I can't just "imagine" music. Well, I can; thus, my songwriting attempts. But if I want to discuss music that most people have heard of, or may not have heard of but might like, I must include videos. I once wrote that I am an encyclopedia of music. It's true.

THIS BLOG, however, is different, and you may either enjoy it or be enraged by it. I am a conservative. Politics is my entertainment, in that the websites I instinctively click on each morning include National Review, Breitbart (a little over the top, but it still reports stories that no one else mentions), Politico (because I like to know how the other side thinks), The Washington Post and The New York Times (likewise). I would click on the Weekly Standard, but it doesn't like me unless I fork over some dollars. I have The Hill bookmarked, but it's a bit too "straight news". I like a little ragged wind with my political stories. I don't often surf over to Fox News, because its website is too video-heavy (much like Rich Farmers) and it takes freakin' forever to load the page. By that time I've lost interest and have moved on. A tip to you conservative websites out there -- don't irritate your readers who have slow connections. I am always on the lookout for good new conservative sites, so feel free to send me your favorites.

How did I become a conservative, when I was raised by two rabid (especially my dad) Democrats? I wish I had a profound answer, but it all seemed to fall into place naturally. I first realized I was a Republican when I was in the eighth grade and my US History teacher assigned us to create election posters (the year was 1968 -- sure, that dates me -- but I'm not about to start lying, even about my age). I'd seen the TV ads, I'd certainly watched the political conventions. I am a convention junkie; I love them. Hubert Humphrey was Vice President. Funny story -- he (or at least his "staff") stayed at my parents' motel when he was in town for an appearance. Imagine the excitement! Well, not my excitement, but my parents were even more excited than when Merle Haggard checked in. Believe me, Merle Haggard made a MUCH bigger impression on me than HHH did. My dad wanted me to get the Vice President's autograph. Well, the whole time "he" was there (I still have my doubts) I never even laid eyes on him! But I dutifully wrote a nice note in my lovely handwriting and left it on the desk in the room, asking if we could pretty please get Mr. Humphrey's autograph. I might have even said we were "big fans". After "he" (and by "he" I mean his secret service staff) checked out, I found three little monogrammed cards on the desk with his signature (pretty sure they were pre-signed, but I'd need to drag out my old scrapbook to verify, and I'm really too lazy to do that). I wonder if my dad kept his card. Probably.

HHH was running against Richard Nixon for the 1968 presidential election. 1968 was really a crappy time, as I'm sure you know if you've read any history (if they still teach it). I wasn't on board with the hippies and general rabble-rousers. At my age I couldn't quite figure out what all the fuss was about (much like now). Nixon, to me, just seemed more sensible; less pandering. And thus smarter. My dad had some small advertising boards to which one could stick letters and spell out anything they wanted. I pilfered one and spelled out, "Vote like the whole world depends on it -- Nixon/Agnew". Yea, I stole the slogan. I was lazy yet satisfied. So satisfied that I tacked the poster up on the door which my dad would pass through several times a day from the garage to our kitchen. I hovered in the background the first time he encountered it. He didn't bother to turn around. I just heard him mutter, "Well, that's different." My dad could get very worked up about Republicans, but he always went easy on me. I know he was disheartened, though.

Throughout the ensuing years, my dad and I had a lot of "discussions" about politics, which were usually comprised of him yelling at the TV and me offering a muted opposing view from the corner of the living room. He even yelled at Reagan! Who doesn't like Ronald Reagan? Well, my dad, for one.

I wasn't legal to vote until I turned 21. I was exactly nine months pregnant when I voted for president for the very first time. My son was born two days later. I stood in line at the elementary school and cast my vote for Gerald Ford. Still a prescient decision. Of course he lost. That was the beginning of my experience with Republicans being referred to as losers. By contrast, the eighties were glorious, not just for me but for the entire country. Argue that if you want, but the truth is the truth.

Now I am sixty (yes). I've had to witness a lot of political crap over the years, but no more so than recently. I'm not happy with the way things are going. Also I have a lot of questions. I may pose some of them here, on this blog. I'm happy to talk to anyone who disagrees with me, if they're civil. Unlike the well-traveled sites, I am not bound to keep commenting turned on. I'm too old for bullshit, plus I'm a nice person and jerks offend my sensibilities. Fair warning.

So, join me, please. I have a burning question right now that I'm heading over to another window to research. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment